Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Our first snow of the season...

And so we had the first snow of the season... there's something special about the first snow of the season. The air is infused with magic, and you can't help but be captivated by the sparkling, crystalline white flakes as they flutter and fall from the sky...
 

As you would imagine, I had to go out to the garden! No matter how cold it may be outside, Nature’s call is always stronger than cold, or rain, or whatever capricious fluctuation the barometer might indicate.

So here I am in the midst of this strange world formed by tiny pieces of frozen water bonded together, thinking how marvelous, and unexplainable, snow is.
 
As I walk in this familiar, yet strange dwelling where white pervades the vision, I thinking how much I have changed through the years, and how delightful winter is when you’re surrounded by people you love. Friends and love ones is what make all the difference.
 
My little world rests under the spell of snow... and silence. I want to hear the hallowed sound of silence; and this white vastness filling every corner inside! Nothing moves, nothing disturbs the sacredness that has descended upon the land, no human voice defying harmony, no barking dog, not the sound of a distant vehicle. I love it! This is the time when I’m sure I can see angels dancing down the path...
 
White sea-foam clumps in wind-tossed tree branches, and then, behind my back a soft fluttering of wings! Something takes flight behind me; perhaps an intruder myself in this wonderful wonderland of silence and nature, I have disturbed the peace of a winged friend? Oh I think so.
 
Most people who feed backyard birds find that winter is the busiest time of the year. And I do believe that... The falcons that make our garden their dwelling place each year have already arrived... I have seemed them; seem their vigilante gaze upon the land and surrounding areas, but they haven’t been to the garden yet. I am waiting for that precious moment with the enthusiasm of a little child.
 
It’s wonderful—the leaping free spirits of birds, the dream of a snowy land, and to sense the miracle of life in everything which is natural, and then, behind me... a safe and warm nest to call my own. My home!
 
 
And thus, “winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: It is the time for home”—Edith Sitwell, British poet.
 

22 comments:

  1. oh what a wonderful magic winterland ... full of angels and fairies and ... who knows ... wish you a marvellous time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so lovely! We had our first major snow storm yesterday and today it is blowing and cold and oh so pretty. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVELY :)
    The Snow can also be beautiful :)
    Here in Sweden we have a Snowstorm right now :)
    But soon there is spring in the air again :)
    Hugs from HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have not had the first snow of the season yet. Ours usually comes roaring in with deep winds and groaning trees. How lovely your world is! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Cielo,

    How incredible for having falcons in your own garden! We do have lots of birds but no falcons... That must be precious for observing them.
    Looks odd those roses in the snow; a sad ending of one season and the beginning of a new one.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Mariette's Back to Basics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how beautiful!!! I live in So Cal so no snow for us:( I wish we could have it just for about 2 months or so then it can go away:)

    Your pictures are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is just magical. I love how you did your photo's
    Just wanted to come by and wish you Happy Thanksgiving.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cielo Sweetie...
    What a serene, magical winter wonderland. The roses are closing the petals for the last time of the season, it is time to rest. The angels amongst them bless all around, and let nature know it is okay to rest, they will stand vigil while they get that much needed rest. Their season has been long and tiring.

    Through the window, from your chair, you can see all the beauty that God has given you for this approaching holiday season.

    Happy Thanksgiving Sweetie, From my Home to Yours. I am so thankful for your friendship. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cielo,
    We also had our first snowfall but rain tomorrow. Your garden looked beautiful in the snow with roses still hanging on.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cielo,
    Your garden looks so pretty with the snow all over. I must admit with our move to Texas, I wonder if I will miss it after living in Buffalo, NY.
    We have not had snow yet.....maybe before we leave.
    Love your blog! I look forward to reading your delightful posts.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It look's so magical with the snow resting on the rose petals. Thank you for sharing the garden.....Julian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh...lovely...even in winter :) :) I especially loved the last photo...very inviting..and makes me wonder if there are winter faeries to watch over everything until it's time for the warm weather again :) :) Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Falcons in your beautiful garden: this is pure magic.
    I LOVE SNOW SO MUCH!
    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden look magical in the snow. And what a gift to have this bird as a guest.
    We have a lot of snow and there are no trace of a garden whatsoever, only white, white.
    hugs elsamarianne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful...and there are falcon's in your garden..how magical:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How stunning. I love falcons, I also the love the photo of the snow covered roses. Hugs
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Cielo, these snow photos are gorgeous. I love your beautiful words describing how you feel about a magic time.

    I came by to wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Blessings and love. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are just exquisite. actually everything about your blog is as well. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our snow is due on Friday or Saturday, but it will not be as beautiful as your exquisite garden!! Wow, how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. how beautiful the flakes are on your bushes and roses! I thought you would have cut them back?...do you not do that? can you share your thoughts on cutting them back vs. not please! I so want roses in my garden!

    I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!
    BG

    ReplyDelete
  21. I especially love the bird nest and the lovely roses among the snow. Thanks for sharing such lovelies.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note; I love to read your comments.