Friday, April 6, 2012

Kid talk

Inside we are all kids, and thus…

I had this weird dream last night ‘bout three witches all wrapped up in black; broom-flying the skies of a certain city. From where I was standing I could clearly see them happily talking amongst themselves, just the very same way you and I would talk if we ever happened to be walking side by side ‘long each other on any given road. Yup… just like that!

Does that have a meaning to you?—I wonder. I hope this doesn’t mean the witches have decided to pay me a visit, cause ya know, this is not Halloween, and we’re still far away from that wonderful time o’ year when everyone gets to wear their witch’s costume and the air carries within itself that certain trace of cinnamon and cardamom; ever so subtle and obscure at the same time; which, by the way, it’s the eternal scent of all witches. Bet ya didn’t know that one did ya?

And just in case you are wondering what on earth is I’m talking ‘bout, “cardamom”, or “Elettaria cardamomum”, it’s a perennial plant with large hairy leaves that bears cardamom pods and small white cluster-like flowers… ‘zactly like any other flower ‘cept for the mysterious-looking part; I should say!


Speaking of herbs… I have been planting my herbs: Arugula, Basil, Calendula and Catmint. Have you done any herb planting yet? And then, there’s the planting of new perennials. I want more delphiniums and foxgloves in my garden this year. I like tall spiky flowers, and my vision is to fill every bit of empty space in the garden with them type o’ flowers… so lovely they are!

When I was in NYC last week, I visited the Natural History Museum. My bestest favorite part of all was the “Birds of the World” section, where all the birds you can imagine (and beyond), are geographically distributed by countries of the world—something truly amazing and a must-see for sure.

I got to see most every species of owls there is and cannot begin to tell you how very excited I was to be able to look at those ‘mazing birds from such close distance; even if they were not real, or not any close to being alive anyways… a mind-blowing thing if ya ask me!

Ah, what I would do to see a ‘real’ owl in my garden—an owl perched in a given branch of a given tree on any given night! Just right there—in my very own garden! Wouldn’t that be grand! Yup, it would!

Don’t know exactly why, but I have a feeling maybe this new accent of lately has something to do with my recent trip to NYC! People there talk kinda funny ya know… I mean, they have this funny accent--not that I don’t have my very own special accent, mind you… I mean the “Penelope Cruz” type of an accent. Yup!

Ah yes, forget ‘bout getting’ the language straight. No matter how long I lived in this country (and I mean a whole chunk of a lifetime), I can’t still pronounce certain words. Words such as ‘butter’, and ‘bottle’, and I hope yous name ain’t “Myrtle”, cause I can’t pronounce that either. A bad-bad combination of words if you’d ask me—what with all those t’s and l’s rolling together in your tongue this way and that other way…

Am I confusing you yet? Goodness gracious, I hope not!

And then, here, in our valley, the sun has finally decided to come out. The large winged insects that live in trees and tall grasses are humming; the male of which are making this shrill sound that fascinates me… This can only mean one thing for sure: Summer is near!

Soon it’ll be so warm even the frogs will be sweating. Ain’t that wonderful? It surely sounds delectable to me!

May you all have an enchanted and super lovely weekend, my friend... and don't forget this:

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I have been planting loads of herbs. I love them for their uses and the fragrance. Lavender and rosemary. Oh the smell but how I love basil and cooking with lots of herbs. I am reading on spreading them in the hens laying boxes for their benefit and to deter pests and bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had so much Basil this year I have been making loads of Pesto and freezing,eating and cooking with it. Love it.
    Also planted heaps of pansies and holly hocks too. As it is Autumn here we have just started preparing the soil with green manure ready for the winter veg. Happy Easter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cielo
    YES,,,I LOVE Herbs too.....I really enjoy the fragrance,,,,,and taste :)
    and HAPPY EASTER to YOU my Friend :)
    an d do not miss.....

    H
    A
    P
    P
    Y

    E
    A
    S
    T
    E
    R

    P
    A
    R
    T
    Y

    WELCOME :)
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely discovering you, I am absolutely shocked...you speak my language and you sing my tunes. Love your words, your pics and your magic. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post!!! The photos are wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a magical delight. I grew up in New York, a different thing than a visit I can tell you. My herbs are planted and this year I'm planning a Tomato Wall in one bed where I can pick them off the fence and not have to bend LOL. yep a whole wall of tomatoes of all kinds for this summer for raw dishes, caprice, grilled with Parmesan, sauteed with garlic, sandwiches, etc...I love tomatoes. All the herbs are doing well in their freshly strawed bed. I love owls too....if you haven't, then you must watch the beautiful movie "Legend of the Guardians"... gorgeous movie with magical music too from my fav Lisa Gerrard. Fairy blessings, Lady

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HAVE PLANTED SOME THYME,PARSLEY AND YESTERDAY I BOUGHT SOME CHOCOLATE MINT..SMELLS SO DIVINE AND SOME CHIVES...I ALREADY HAVE OREGANO SAGE AND LEMON THYME ROSEMARY TWO OF THEM...I'M LOOKING FOR SOME TARRAGON ...AND I BOUGHT A SCENTED YELLOW ROSE WITH TOUCHES OF RED ON THE EDGES...AND IT SMELLS WONDERFUL...WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A HAPPY EASTER WITH MUCH LOVE...JANICE...TINY FAIRIES DANCING ALL ABOUT...IN MY GARDEN THATS WHAT I WISH FOR...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never planted any herbs before (with the exception being Mint) but have been considering putting some in this year.

    Beautiful post. Are you a "witch" Cielo? :)

    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmmm, interesting dream! It sounds like a good one as they were getting along so well and having a good visit. Sometimes it is the feeling of the dream that is important. How did you feel about seeing them?

    I love talking about dreams!

    Anyways...
    I am so thrilled that you have been planting! Yay! Hands in the dirt and all that good stuff. I have planted some bulbs and herbs a few weeks ago. The new bulbs are coming up. Most of my herbs made it thought the oddly warm winter we had. Even my tiny patch of Roman Chamomile survived! (barely).

    Happy Easter!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Cielo,
    Your sweet post is full of the spirit of Tinkerbell - spreading joyful stardust all around. I am glad you enjoyed your trip! My dear friend Maria is from Cuba and still has a hard time with some words - that's o.k. our hearts know exactly what the other means. Love your new look to your blog - it is such fun to change things up. I hope you have a blessed Easter,
    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So are you going to share the flower pot image with us now that we are all drooling over them? So gorgeous! Thanks for hosting this lovely party.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note; I love to read your comments.