Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Under the Tuscan sun...

August—it’s hot and dry, but I would never avoid the garden; not even on the hottest day of the year would I ignore it. Our summers around here are but fleeting moments. To allow myself to put away my gardening tools would be sacrilege. So I’ve been working incessantly; stopping only to hydrate and maybe eat a morsel of mouthwatering fruits in season...

You see, I've been working in the creation on a new flowerbed that runs north to south along the fence in the west side of our house, and knowing that the gardening finish line is nearing made me do crazy things... like working extra long hours under the August sun.

I must admit that as much as I love summer, working under extreme heat can really do some bizarre things to your brain, not to speak of your body... the good part of it is you’d discover you have magical powers... you would see things that are not, hear things that are not and even talk to things or people that are not... in fact, just yesterday around 3:00pm I thought I saw you wandering my garden in your pretty summer sandals. Was it you? Was it me? I must have been under the spell of the sun... or was it more in the brink of a heat stroke?

The love of growing things is universal, and each season in the garden prompts different action, and brings its own urgency, and thus, I plunged into creating new planting spaces. I’ve been envisioning this for a long time—planning things in my mind, deciding what I would plant, what needed to be moved, and the wait could not be prolonged. Besides, the frost is coming soon—I know it. There aren’t many days left in the gardening year... can you not see changes brewing up in the horizon? Oh I can. Sadly, I must say. What I see in the garden is very precious because it has so short a time to live.

I am very satisfied with what I’ve done thus far in this part of the yard. The old swing is looking marvelous sitting in its new place, and I have embellished it with some old outdoor cushions I’ve been saving, and added a solar lantern to hold the black unknown at bay.

I have a special fondness for dishes; particularly vintage rose designed dishes and delight in embellishing my garden with the most unusual things—things you would normally find in a kitchen you'd see scattered all around my garden... like this gorgeous vintage bowl...

Isn’t this the most gorgeous bowl ever? Why would anyone give it away? Many a days ago this pretty bowl rested on someone’s table, but given the chance of a second life it sits pretty on my new flowerbed, posing as a birth bath now... I just love it!

I’ve been stung by wasps, a few more wrinkles have been added onto my scarred hands and skin, but at least I can sit down now and relax... at least for now I can. The garden looks glorious in its peak. Vines and tall garden phlox and the summer Peeper that find their home amidst the black-eyed Susan all cohabit peacefully in this paradise that I just so love...

It is so nice to just sit here and do nothing... just look at the world pass by me in heaps of delightful wonderments.

May your day be filled with joy. May you never give up, and keep on trying. And may your heart be cured by the joy of a flowering garden…

23 comments:

  1. Oh Cielo!
    Your garden is lovely and yes, that was me skipping across your yard yesterday in the early morn's first light!
    (Oh how I wish it were me!!)
    That bowl is glorious as a bird bath. Great idea.
    Thanks for sharing this lovely post.
    xx
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now following you around your garden...don't sound so sad at the end of summer, fall and the bountiful havest, colorful leaves and less intense sun are wonderful, too. Another perspective, it's much to early for bulbs :)
    I love, that you love, gardening, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, Cielo... I do see it... and in the midwest I hear it. The autumn-heralds, the locusts are spinning their "six weeks til frost" song... It is getting dark earlier again... I am soooo melancholy right now, and for so really solid reason... Your garden would soothe any soul. You are an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy to you, too in your beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful impressions from this (your) garden. Wonderful ! Amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tuoi post fanno sognare!!! Baci,Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have subscribed to your rss feed which should do the trick. These all are great to know about it. These all things are great to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your garden, and I have almost the same exact bowl in mine! I found it in the garbage with a little chip on the side. It makes a great bird bath or water bowl for whomever visits. Thanks for sharing. 8^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cielo- I love your garden(s). You are such an inspiration and I ALWAYS smile when I stop by here. WHOEVER that person is in your garden wearing THAT skirt-well, you just tell her I love the skirt, will ya?

    I am taking a whole week off work to play outside...I am sooo ready-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cielo- I love your garden(s). You are such an inspiration and I ALWAYS smile when I stop by here. WHOEVER that person is in your garden wearing THAT skirt-well, you just tell her I love the skirt, will ya?

    I am taking a whole week off work to play outside...I am sooo ready-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cielo,
    You have created such a magical garden.The swing would be a lovely place to sit and relax for awhile.
    We have had a cool and wet summer here this year-but the garden did well anyway. However,I don't even want to think it will soon be gone!

    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful Garden to meander and relax in you have!

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glorious photos! Thanks for sharing!
    Magdalene

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cielo,
    Your garden is always a beautiful sight to see, now with the most beautiful birdbath ever, the birds will never leave, just sing and bathe the day away:-))
    Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy stopping by...
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful post! You have a lovely way of writing and your gardens are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Cielo!
    As always it's a pleasure for me to be here in your magical garden... When I read your sweet words,it's like to be in another world, in a place far away from this strange world that we live.
    I really think that somehow, I was there in your enchanted garden that day, watching the birds and smelling your beautiful flowers... Playing with the butterflies that I love!
    I know it's just a magic dream... But I really enjoy it so much!
    Thank you, dear Cielo, for bringing the beauty and the tenderness for our litlle world...You are our angel of peace and our sweet fairy!

    My sweet brazilian hug for you!
    Teresa
    (from the blog "Se essa lua fosse minha")

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a marvelous garden - it is always a treat when you share with us what is blooming and the whimsical decor you've added. Just love the beautiful bowl! I completely understand what the sun can do to you after spending hours in the sun! I have a sad task to take care of! My home sits on the main street of town - sometime back the city had workers spraying weed killer along the roadway and they sprayed my lovely rose that was hanging over the wall - I believe the rose will survive, but all that gorgeous cascading display is gone - Could you believe it! Hope your gorgeous garden days linger on and on this year!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. How very beautiful! A spiritual haven! I love the bowl you have placed as a bird bath.....
    Hugs
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is just WONDERFUL ! I wish I could live in such a place: congratulations for what you have achieved

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh, what a page.
    I don't want to go home.
    Want to try on all those outfits, and steal your fairy shoes :-)
    Don't worry, probably not my size.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note; I love to read your comments.