Friday, July 1, 2011

Tales from a garden...

I’m walking on petals at the end of an enchanted June, and sunshine has awakened the garden by way of zillion little secrets...

As the earth turns and the seasons march along sapphire horizons, a succession of miracles are taking place right here—small and big miracles in way of a succession of bloom—a garden blooming in waves, from the first crocus to probably the last mum.
It's been fun watching the early narcissus giving way to tulips, then came the Ninebark flower and crimson weigelas, dianthus followed and the blue delphinium and sweet Williams and garden phlox, and now here are the roses and the foxgloves and daisies, soon there will be lilies, daylilies, bee balm and hollyhock, and finally the burgundy asters and chrysanthemums that will bloom until the first freeze. I am enchanted by it all.
Remember my cosmos seeds in early March? None survived... well, except for the flimsy little seedling I thought it wouldn’t have a chance, and thus I took outside to let it died naturally under the bitterness of cruel March because I didn’t have the heart to kill it or throw it away... Wow, what a lesson from Nature that was!
It’s a bird’s Paradise here. Can you see this robin in the petunia flower pot admits the roses?
I’ve never seen petunias reached this high. Must have something to do with the garden fairies!
Snapdragons don’t usually survive our winters, so they’re sold as annuals.... but not here in my garden. A couple of years ago a bought two tall snapdragons and waited for them to die back that winter... both of them survived, and now they have self-seeded themselves prolifically in the garden. I have lovely snapdragons everywhere... even outside their beds. To me this is yet another miracle among the miracles in my garden.
Evening Primrose have self-seeded prolifically as well. This was a total surprise to me because I can’t remember having planting them at all to begin with.... little gifts from above? I can’t complain!
Roses have taken over the garden. I’m in heaven right now as you can imagine. They’re my obsession and if you ask people around here, they would say that my roses thrive on the wing of magic... really! I have no other answer.
You see, cane blight, a bacteria that affects roses have reached devastating levels this spring in our valley. Sadly, 500 rose bushes from our public rose garden were damaged and had to be taken out, one quarter of the total in that display garden. It had to do with a succession of two consecutive extra cool wet springs that has wreaked havoc in gardens throughout our valley. I can’t explain exactly what magic is going on here in my pesticide-free garden, but the truth is not one single rose bush in my garden has been affected, and they’re as healthy as they can be, and more beautiful than ever.
Is it just me? It’s crazy, but I don’t like to cut my roses. I feel I’m committing a crime whenever I cut them. I like to look at my roses on the shrub were they belong. So that’s where I usually keep my bouquets. I love the opulence they bestow on the garden. Sometimes, I will bring in something that I had to cut anyway or if I find one perfect bloom then I will sometimes bring one rose inside or share it with co-workers at the office.
I don't like to cut roses and other flowers, for that matter. Every June I promise myself I will start a cutting garden specifically for cutting, but I guarantee I would still not cut them. Very peculiar! Plus I already have a cutting garden spread all over my garden and still won’t cut flowers. I find it quite nutty about myself. Are you like that too?
Earlier this year I make some bouquets from the weigelas and ninebark flowers when prunning, and forced myself to some simple rose bouquets for pictures and posts...

Here is the same bouquet (no more cutting roses) in the kitchen, with delphinium petals on plate

I have plenty of rose bushes for bouquets all over my house, but can never find the heart to cut... crazy crazy!

What have you planned for this weekend? Whatever you do, wherever you are don't forget to just close your eyes, relax and dream!

I'm participating in the following blog parties:

A Southern Daydreamer's Outdoor Wednesday Fishtail Cottage's Cottage Flora Thursday

19 comments:

  1. Your garden is beautiful Cielo...I could just sit outside and relax and dream all day long out there...thanks for allowing me to do so if only for a moment today...have a beautiful weekend :)
    Big hugs,
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. querida Cielo, que bello está tu jardín, toda esa proliferación de flores multicolores tan amorosamente cultivadas por ti!!!
    Yo, al contrario tuyo, amo cortar mis rosas porque he aprendido que los rosales se favorecen del corte y continúan fortaleciéndose para entregarnos una floración más larga hasta entrado el invierno, al menos aquí en mi jardín con este clima que tenemos.
    Que pena tus cosmos, tal vez si los plantases más tarde sobrevivirían las heladas de tu primavera.
    muchos cariños

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is an inspiration to all of us who have gardens and what them to look like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You truly have a wonderland here. It is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just dream about gardens like yours!!! Allow yourself to cut say one day a week or even one cutting each bush or something...you deserve to enjoy those gorgeous blooms in your home! Lovely!!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cielo
    LOVELY just LOVELY :)
    Your garden is a dream :)
    and do not miss

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    Welcome :)
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed all of your photos. Your roses and other blooms are just breathtakingly beautiful. I was especially enchanted with that first photo with the path. Very romantic and it makes me want to walk and see what's at the end of the path :) :) Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is pure paradise, Cielo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Que bonito jardi tienes cielo parece de magacine bellas tu rosas
    victoriana
    Bendiciones
    XOX
    Isora

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh My Goodness... your garden is heavenly... it takes my breath away...
    the one photo with the blue delphinium, and the statue and the pink roses... should be a painting... it's almost too pretty to be real
    and i love it that your pesticide free garden is doing so well.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boa noite! É a primeira vez que eu estou postando um comentário no seu blog, e quero dizer-lhe que o seu jardim e o seu blog é encantador e inspirador.Sou uma pessoa que amo minha família, flores , natureza e tudo que é simples e belo.Abrç !
    Att: Dorath,

    http://jaitoutsimplement.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cielo, Your gardens are beautiful...a miracle indeed. How awful about that blight..and I am so glad that your roses are not affected. It must be your magical touch!

    I thought I was the only person in Blogland that does not like to cut flowers from my plants. I always feel that I am shortening their lives by bringing them in. I know, I know...crazy... I do pick some lilacs though when the season is upon me. I love them in the house.

    Have a blessed, wonderful 4th of July...and don't be letting those faries play with sparklers...you know how devilish they can be! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cielo, you really do live in an enchanted garden.

    Blessings!
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice of you to visit me and leave such a nice comment.

    Your garden is beautiful and as a fellow 'chemical free' gardener I think that has much to do with its glory.

    As to cutting my roses, I usually don't bring in huge bouquets, I do cut a few for bud vases or to mix in with other flowers. But I certainly understand how you feel about leaving them in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh...your garden is soo beautiful!! Love all the different varieties...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Dear Cielo,
    Your garden is like fresh, cold water to a thirsty soul. I can understand why you don't like to cut the blooms - the sheer pleasure of enjoying your roses in the garden must just lift your heart - I believe that things know they're loved and that they respond in kind. Thank you for sharing your lovely garden - I hope you have a marvelous weekend!
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's at Fishtail Cottage! Your blooms are gorgeous! love fallen rose petals on the pathway!xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found your blog and I'm a rose lover too! I don't like to cut my roses either. I enjoy them just the way they are in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed all your beautiful blooms. We are hot here in California so I have let the trees grow large and now my garden is mostly shade so I miss the blooms. I too do not cut my flowers, I have so few, I want to enjoy them in the garden. I will however rescue a bloom the squirrels have tromped on and I do purchase cuts at the farmers market every week. Thank you for the beauty you share ~ Jacque

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note; I love to read your comments.