Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November ramblings...

There is something in the shape and color of a bottle that really attract me...
I love bottles and have collected a few of them in the last couple of years; mainly old whiskey bottles and flasks with shapes I find interesting... but I had never owned a vintage bottle in aqua before, and I'm thrilled by it! Yes, I'm a simple girl! I enjoy happy little things and love the thrill of sifting through garage and estate sales too! ;)
 
Bottles speak to me of the old west; saloons, brothels, traveling medicine shows, the days of Buffalo Bill and Mark Twain and the bottles that come with witches and Halloween stories... this one in particular speaks to my heart... it is the perfect recipient for a perfect rose!

Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers ever! And don’t you think they just look especially dreamy in this simple, yet lovely container? Oh I think they do!
 
As you can see I’ve been in the mood for making desserts lately... I guess is the weather. The enchantment of fall moves me to cook, to dance, to sing under this deliciously magical serene sky... Arroz con leche, the Spanish version of rice pudding, is one of my favorite desserts ever, and it’s very easy to make too! I think I have already shared my recipe before, but you can find a lot of different versions of this recipe on the internet. My own personal trick is to add just a pinch of salt to your milks! It’s pure heaven!

Another delightful thing about November is finding reading material for those long winter days ahead... Our home, particularly our bedroom, is embellished with oodles of home and garden decorating books. I can never seem to pass a good book deal, especially if they're from the “Country Living” book collection. My latest find—“Linens and Lace”, by Tricia Foley is just totally gorgeous, and it only cost me $3.99!   There is something in the November sky that moves me; something perfectly tender and evocative of home. At dusk, the house seems to glow under the spell of candlelight and if I look outside...
Ah, outside nature speaks softly... it speaks in a magical language understood only by the soul attuned to the eternal. A sense of eternity lingers in the crisp air of November, and I always find something of myself in this haunting season.
 

20 comments:

  1. Sweet dear Cielo ~ The magic you bring to our lives. The simple sweet treasures you make into elegance beyond dreams. The beauty you cast upon a table ...

    Thank you.

    Have a great eve ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again I am enchanted visiting you. I have not had rice pudding in years and years and years. It was something my Mother made often. I shall have to give it a try to see if my grandkids like it. I'll bet they will. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cielo
    beautiful flower and vase...it is truly a find!
    I so enjoy your whimsy and beautiful words that you weave into a fairytale every time I read you!
    I don't always comment, but please know that I always read your posts and know how much I enjoy them!
    Your cottage is beautiful and so mystical...I would love to visit and have one of my favorites too...
    arroz con leche!

    BG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are so beautiful, the aqua bottle is a lovely find, the rose the perfect complement. And to make the scene even more inviting, you put in desserts as luscious looking as the surroundings. Have mercy! I'm ready to dive in from here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this post.

    Your pictures are so wonderful.

    I love reading, and this is my favorite time of the year to do it. An excuse to sit in my comfy chair with some tea on the end table and relaxing with a shawl over my lap and reading a good book by candlelight. In my case alot of candlelight. HA! HA!

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see all the beautiful flowers and china. And I love the blue bottle!
    Here in Sweden the snow has finally put the nature under a white down throw and some love it and some... well it´s hard to take a walk in the woods when the snow goes up to your knees.
    hugs elsamarianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cielo,

    The roses still look lovely around you window! Mine have dissapeared completely. Your puddings look delicious!

    Lieve groet & happy day,

    Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enchanting as always.


    ♥ Hélène Glehen - a French artist, fond of roses and romantic stuff ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! You can make November sound delicious. :-)

    And I so love your look of candles in the window. Lovely.........

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  10. um blogue sempre maravilhoso e reconfortante. um paraíso.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too, love November! There is something truly special that happens between October and December.
    Your photos are so beautiful, the bottle and rose, truly spectacular.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Très beau blog avec de magnifiques photos.
    Douce journée

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is beauty in bottles! Especially old ones. I love the different colors in the glass - your roses are wonderful as usual. - I will try your recipe - perhaps this will be the one my husband and daughter will like :)
    Tricia Foley is terrific - she worked with Victoria Magazine in her early years!
    Love your post :)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely and ethereal pictures accompany this wonderful post.

    Is your rice pudding recipe posted here somewhere? I'd love to have it.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cielo,
    Your photo's are so pretty! and you always have such an enchanting way with your words..
    My Mom always made rice pudding a sweet childhood memory.
    Your roses are lovely..We are having rain now and so no roses for us until spring.
    Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hola Cielo, què agradable momento es pasearse por tu blog y admirar tus arreglos, tus nuevos tesoros, tus postres, laces, libros y sobre todo tu jardín que veo que aún tienes muy bellas rosas!!!
    esos postres, mmmmm
    cariños

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love the simplicity of the single rose in the vintage flask! Simplicity is beautiful! My husband found alot of bottles while digging for a pipeline around the fort worth Stock yards, they are very discolored though and I tried vinegar and am not sure how to properly clean the bottles? Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just started collecting bottles this year...mostly little ones and also have an aqua one. I love it too. Love your rose too...it is my favorite color.

    Jan @ Mavrik Lane

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful again, you must be happy! Lovely ambiance,

    regards from France,

    Janny

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note; I love to read your comments.