Friday, September 21, 2012

A garden filled with frogs and tomatoes

Some critters are worth welcoming into your garden. They will do a lot of good work for you. And thus, you'll find quite an army of 'special' little critters around here.  Like Mr. Verde, here. Isn't he adorable!
 

 
Oh yes, I know... they don't do much; at least not the critters in my garden they won't. You see, they won't devour those nasty aphids like some critters in your garden do, and they won't eat grubs or pollinate my crops. Actually, the only thing they know how to do is make me happy... 'cause well, they just do! ;)
 
 

Quackers loves our little pond.  Quackers went swimming one day at the lake; over the hill and far away. Mother duck said "Quack, quack, quack"... but Quackers didn't go back to her... she's been here ever since. Our pond it really is just a little dew pond, but Quackers is a happy ducky here and I'm so glad she decided to come live here...  Quackers and Mr. Verde have become such great friends too ;)



Do you collect 'critters', or have any in your garden? My garden wouldn't be the same without my little 'critter' friends, that's for sure...

Don't tell anyone, but I have some very special feelings for frogs... I love them—I do! Truth is, I had to kiss a lot of frogs when I was a little girl. Oh no I wasn't looking for my Prince, in fact, I was just trying to keep my mom from going cucu loco.

You see, my mom has a bad case of frog phobia; really bad, and living in a country where significant rainfall was the norm didn't help much, as you can imagine... so being the eldest, it was my job to keep the frogs from coming into the house; which was an almost impossible job I tell you. There were so very many frogs; small frogs and big and wrinkly frogs and very ugly amphibians that were more than a little girl could handled.

They would jump on me and croak on my ears, and even talk to me... I was terrified, but of course, I wouldn't say a word... so I had to pretend and become the hero nobody wanted to be. And thus, you know how it goes: If life gives you lemons.... mail them to God and ask for apples? Well, no, that's not how it goes, does it? But you get the idea. So I learnt to love frogs. And about the common myth that says that touching frogs may give one warts? Never in my life have I got a wart, thanks goodness. Oh here's another froggy, given to me by Mr. Peter-Pan some years ago.  
 
 


Have you been collecting your crop yet? We're finally collecting of crop of tomatoes. 
 

 
We have so many endless tomatoes and still collecting more.... I have to confess I've nothing to do with this lovely crop here as I only take care of the flower garden. The man Peter-Pan in his green pants is the one in charge of the veggies and herb gardens. Ain't that sweet of him! So, that's the balance here.
 

And that's it for now.... I haven't been here a lot lately, but I'd like to let you know that I been busy writing and documenting my life in my "Dear Diary" blog, which you can access by clicking on the link in the top right side of my blog.  I have also been busy updating my book HOLLOW WOODS and adding lots of new stories.  I have a Book I and a Book II now, and I know you're going to love it... I'll let you know as soon as I download it, so you can either download a new copy, if you have already buy it, or take a look and decide.  Thank you for coming by, and you be blessed.

 

8 comments:

  1. We have a great bounty of tomatoes what we haven't eaten on sandwiches or just sliced I made into pasta sauce to keep for the winter.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Cielo,
    Frogs are a welcome addition to any garden - they help take care of those unwanted critters! I read where Celia Thaxter would have boxes filled with frogs delivered to her island garden. Your tomatoes look delicious - nothing as good as a homegrown tomato! Will check your other blog and congratulations on your books!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you-much, for pointing me to your "Dear Diary." I had not known it existed...

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have frogs in my little water garden, Cielo! In fact, there are 18 of them there. lol! In the spring when I start up the waterfall again, they seem to appear overnight - happy and croaking us awake the next morning. :) They're beginning to take their leave lately with the cooler weather. They'll find some piles of leaves under the deck to snuggle under during the winter.

    We've picked all of our tomatoes and canned about 300 pints of homemade salsa. My hubby has the green thumb in the garden, too. :)

    Have a great week, sweetie!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love those duck and frog. So cute addition in the garden. Thanks a lot for the post. Brilliant!

    Noelle @ www.egardensheds.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool! I had to "save" my mom from a frog who hopped into her bathroom. I'm not afraid of them, I guess! It was so funny. I had a tall glad from an iced tea I was drinking in my hand when she screamed at me to save her! I ran in and this little frog just sailed into the air and I held out my cup.... Plop! He landed right in it and I took him outside to the great outdoors. I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful execution of decoration of a garden. The frog and the duck looks nice and increases the beauty of the garden. Love this garden, its impressive and the tomatoes looks very fresh and healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note; I love to read your comments.