Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Decorating my favorite rooom of the house

Do you love decorating your home? I love changing and re-arranging things around my house and decorating it using what I already have; and sometimes, throwing in some lovely little treasures here and there too. This gives such feeling of newness and freshness all around, and I never get bored of my house doing so.

I have a special girly room in my house, which I love and which I'm always decorating and re-decorating.

I was dumfounded up in the air in love with this martian green dresser you see here the minute I saw it at one of our local thrift store, and then couldn't believe my eyes... couldn't believe I'd bought it, the next minute I saw it seating in my favorite room of the house.

Do you do that sometimes—I mean, buy something out of impulse and then feel miserable for having done so? Gladly, I don’t do that very often, for I despise proceeding by impetus and then feeling wretched for it.

I couldn’t return the dresser; so I opted for some paint. I love the combination of soothing gray-blues and therefore went for it. I then replaced those awfully huge pink pulls for something a little more “refined” and voila! I was very happy with the transformation.

Not too long after that I then started noticing the awful contrast between the soothing colors of the chest against the exuberant greens and pinks of the painting above it. Just looking at it robed my peace… too many colors and combinations, too loud…

So, I returned it and brought home this loveliness here... Isn't she gorgeous!

I love this painting! And the combination of colors, just perfect! I’m so happy with it.

I thought of making a wall rack to hang some pretty thing using some free graphics from the Internet. This “thing” here is what I came up with… ha-ha! OK, I’m not the best of crafter, but I did try my best, really! ;)

I finally took the “thing” down and took it to the thrift store. A couple of days later I saw it again. It had a $7.00 sign on it—couldn’t believe they dared put it out. The following day I went by again, just out of curiosity, and what do you know… someone must have like it! For it wasn’t there anymore. ;)

I then made another wall rack using a different technique this time and a much smaller piece of recycled wood; originally part of a kitchen cabinet… I like this one a little better ;)

I'm always changing what I hang there... ;) This is what I have there right now. A bouquet of dried roses from the garden and one of my favorite summer tops.

One more thing is left for the completion of the room: This little 1960’s chest; which by the way it only cost me $12.00. Husband loves it just the way it is, and is very much against me painting it. But but but I… ;)

It needs to be painted, that's for sure! ;) Now, I just need to decide on colors… would I paint it in the same gray-blueish combo I used on the 6-drawer chest? Wouldn’t that be too much of the same color? I’m thinking of a palette of creamy white with drawers in a very light pink. But again, wouldn’t that be too many colors for just one room alone? What do you think? Your comments and thoughts would be very much appreciated... ;) Thank YOU!

13 comments:

  1. I just love what you did with your room.Just beautiful.

    I also think the rack you made first is also pretty and I would have bought it. As they say Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    The new rack does fit in better with the way you are redecorating your room.

    Sometimes I think we are too hard on ourselves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your girlie room looks so wonderful. A great place to go to just read or nap.
    I haven't visited in a while I know will go back and see what I missed
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dresser and the new art work. So much nicer. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you considered all aspects of the colour scheme and decided what worked best, it's a huge success!
    What about painting the chest in a chalky deep grey with a cream undercoat to match with the dramatic skirt of the lady in the painting and adding contrast to the wonderful pastels which dominate the rest of the room. You could distress the edges allowing the cream through.
    fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such lovely taste and I always look forward to your posts. The chest is wonderful. The knobs that were original to it reminded me of the kitchen cabinet knobs on our 1950's kitchen when I was a kid.
    Adore the flowered quilts in your wicker basket~ ~I am drooling. I could wrap up in them and nap.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room is just lovely, Cielo! So very pretty. I can't believe you bought that bright green dresser- how unlike you! I love the paint job you gave it. Your new wall hanger is great, too. I like it much better than the first one....AND your new painting is beautiful. I love it.

    I don't think the dresser would look bad in the soft pink and white at all. Dressers don't have to match~ xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful Cielo!..very pretty the grey does look soft and warm...have a lovely afternoon with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! I would paint your dresser a creamy white and distress it heavily! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi... I love the hanger you made... both of the, actually! I think a lovely white or cream with the undertones of the grey would look lovely... I trust your eye completely when it comes to loveliness!

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your girlie room is just beautiful Cielo! Love the newly painted dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a charming room you've created and the new dresser colors and knobs are perfect!

    I, too, love the bedside table is it is without paint. Could you move this table to a different room in your home and find a different bedside table for your girly room? Perhaps your husband would enjoy it beside his favorite chair? It's food for thought!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both racks you made.

    Love the colors you painted your dresser and the new painting is perfect with it.

    What a pretty room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is soooo beautiful! I love changing things around constantly, when I am not in the mood for this I know I am not well!!

    May favourite blog, thank you Cielo!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note; I love to read your comments.