Friday, March 9, 2012

Spring cleaning

We woke up to a lovely sunny morning and a 44 degree temperature, which to me, is more than I can ask for…

There’s no point in pretending I enjoy spring cleaning the garden. It is a hard task, indeed. Cleaning up fallen branches and debris is not an enjoyable job, and there are dead annuals everywhere that remained over the winter. And my perennials are looking pretty ugly. I don’t prune back my perennials in the fall; perennials actually prefer to be left standing through the winter, for extra protection. My shrubby plants with woody stems, such the buddleia need to be cut back, because they only bloom on new branches, and all my roses need to be pruned. Then comes the mulching and fertilizing and the diving and transplanting part of the deal… hard, but as spring sets in my spirit revives, the wait have been long enough…

A sense of warmth is tapping at my door. From now on, I start living my life here—in my favorite place on earth!

"It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want -- oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!" (Mark Twain)

17 comments:

  1. That in the spring to take care of his garden efetr winter makes me feel like a midwife. I needed to all plants in the garden will grow. Even the sensitive. Weeds can be beautiful. Some things of the wild, I save. But it stifles easy everything else so much has to go. Beautiful images. It is truly magic to enter your blog. I wish you a pleasant garden weekend! Zinnia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to do the same thing but won't be able to tackle it for another month until things are thawed out here. I have to move a WHOLE garden bed this spring and redo the front beds in our house and I am dreadfully anticipating the job!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI CIELO COMO SIEMPRE PENSANDO EN TI ,Y DESEANDOTE UN HERMOZO DIA YA CASI LLEGA LA PRIMAVERA Y EL SENOR SOL..BENDICIONES

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in California there wasn't much of a winter this year..so I was able to clean up a couple weeks ago...this morning is a beautiful morning ... my vegetable garden is ready for new plants.., It's indeed my most most favorite place in the world to be...wishing you a magical day with love Janice....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cielo: You post was beautiful. Just the right choice of words. I'm so anxious to see everyone's gardens. It seems like it's been an especially long winter, although not much "winter" in California this year...Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh enjoy. I have been in the yard it seems everyday but we are warm here so it isn't hard to get out there. Finishing my veggie garden this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This windy winter has left so many sticks in the yard I will be many days cleaning it up. I'm anxious to be digging and planting, though. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will all be worthwhile, enjoy. Oh and love the pink chair.
    xx jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will have spring weather in the next days to come.Although I should get outside I need to paint ...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cielo
    YES YES YES
    no it is SPRING :)
    and do not miss,,,,,,

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    It is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although there are a lot of things in bloom here I've not started planting yet. But SOON. Hubby has been cleaning out the flower beds and pruned the roses.

    And he's started the veggie garden. I'm getting some seeds next week.:)

    I love spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sun is shining here and the daffodils are blooming!
    Love the pink chair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is glorious to get out into the garden - to feel the earth and to see the new growth! Hope you're having a great day,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spring my favorite time of the year. Your words are so true I have this feeling every year to start anew along with all of God's creatures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I spent my day the exact same way, Cielo! It was a beautiful 65 degree, sunny day here - so I got all of my garden chores done! What a wonderful feeling!!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't cut my perennials until the Spring either - most of my neighbors do it in the Fall but I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can sense your obsession about. Everything looks perfect.

    scottsdale carpet cleaning

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note; I love to read your comments.